Re: 666 in Hebrew

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Hebrew-Hearth ] [ FAQ ]

Posted ByNeal Walters on January 10, 1999 at 23:36:18:

In Reply to: the mark of the beast posted byLori Moore on January 10, 1999 at 22:11:16:

Well this could start quite a discussion!

In English, we use what I think are called Roman Letters and Arabic numerals. Modern Hebrew uses the same numbers, but in ancient Hebrew, letters were used as numbers.

Please refer to my web page at the bottom of this link. This is a chart of the Aleph-Bet with the corresponding numbers. You can print this out and reference it in your future studies.

Hebrew has 22 distinctive letters. But, 5 letters take on a different form and the end of a word, making a new total of 27.

Each letter was assigned a number 1-9, then 10, 20, 30 ...., then 100, 200, 300, 400.
With just the base 22 letters, this will just take you to 400 (or 499 if you combine them).

The five letters that take special character shapes when they appear at the end of a word,
were assigned the numbers 500, 600, 700, 800, and 900, allowing us to count to 999.

Gamatria or Gematria is the study of words that turned into numbers. There are many number games that can be played. For instance, the first word in the Torah is Bereshit,
The letter Shin in the middle of this word
is usually associated with G-d.
Bet = 2, Resh=200, Alef=1, Yod=10, Tav=400 which total 613.
There are 613 mitzvot or instructions in Torah,
and that "happens to be" the numerical value of the letters surrounding the Shin in the first word of Torah. This brilliant insight was offered by the Chatam Sofer (1762-1839).
The word TORAH itself adds up to 611.
Tav = 400, Vav=6, Resh=200, Hei=5 which total 611. This corresponds to the number of mitzvot given by G-d through Moses. G-d spoke the first two himself in Shemot/Exodus 20, but the people asked that Moses speak in the place of G-d.
I give other interesting examples like this in my the "Hidden Hebrew" section of my software tutorial "At Home With Hebrew".

So in you wanted the fewest letters to make up 666, it would be Mem-Sofit=600 + Samech=60 + Vav=6. The best I can tell, this does not spell Clinton, Nixon, Kissinger, or Prince Charles. :)

However, there are many other words or names that could also add up to 666. For instance, instead of Mem-Sofit=600, the word could contain a Resh=200 and a Tav=400.

One last thought. We all use the Internet - and most web pages start with "www", right?
Since there is no "W" in Hebrew, the closest letter is a "V", and V or Vav has the value of 6.
Thus VVV is like writing the number 6 three times, thus 666.

Hmmmm ... I'd better logoff now.

Neal

Follow Ups

Post Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Hebrew-Hearth ] [ FAQ ]